Domestic Energy Assessment


BRE Accredited Energy Performance Certificates

Domestic Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed for most domestic properties being marketed for sale or let. Only accredited domestic energy assessors will be able to carry out assessments to produce Energy Performance Certificates Trafford Surveyors employ in-house BRE-accredited Energy Assessors, who produce EPCs for all types of properties. If you think you may need an EPC please get in touch with our professionally trained team for more advice and assistance. See below for some FAQs.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

An EPC will tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes, and therefore ones with the lowest energy fuel bills, are in band A. The EPC will include recommendations on how to improve the home’s energy efficiency and therefore how to save you money and help the environment.

Who can provide an EPC?

Only professionally qualified Domestic Energy Assessors with a Domestic Energy Assessment Diploma can provide this service.

Who is responsible for obtaining an EPC?

The owner/vendor will be responsible for ensuring an EPC is available. This should be made available to any potential purchaser and provided to the eventual purchaser before a contract for sale is made.

What EPC changes are being implemented in 2018?

From 2018 it will be illegal to let a property which has an EPC rating below E,
It is recognised that there are some properties that will not reach an E rating and the Energy
Assessor will note this on the EPC and a note of the highest possible rating will also appear.

I am having solar panels fitted and want to claim the government subsidy. Do I need an EPC?

Yes for properties having solar panels installs on or after 1st April this year, you will be required to produce an Energy Performance Certificate rating of ‘D’ or above to qualify for a full FIT (Feed-In Tariff). For more information please get in touch.

What are the benefits of having an EPC?

For rental properties, the energy rating can help rent out your property. They indicate to a prospective buyer or tenant how energy efficient your home is. It should also provide information that may help to reduce the running cost of the property.

What buildings will be exempt from providing EPCs?

Some buildings are exempt from providing an EPC. Please get in touch for clarification on current legislation.

Will EPCs be required for rented accommodation?

Yes the EU requires that Energy Performance Certificates will need to be provided for all rented buildings when they are marketed.

How long will it take to perform an energy assessment?

The time taken to perform an energy assessment will vary according to the size and nature of the property.

Is an EPC required for the private sale of a home between two individuals?

Yes. The EU Directive requires that Energy Performance Certificates will need to be provided for all buildings when they are constructed, sold or rented out. A new Energy Performance Certificate will be required for the Home Information Pack. Where the Energy Performance Certificate is provided separately from a Home Information Pack an existing Energy Performance Certificate may be used as long as it is still valid.

What happens if my home gets a low rating?

This simply indicates your home could be more energy efficient. During the inspection a number of recommendations to improve the energy efficiency will be identified. Implementation of these could not only increase your rating and reduce carbon emissions but also save money on energy bills. It is up to you whether you implement the recommendations or not.